The following exemptions to the rule apply:
- Abatement: Activities conducted under abatement rules by certified abatement contractor.
- Minor Repair or Maintenance Activities: Activities that will, within a 30-day period, disturb less than 6 square feet per room for interior activities; or 20 square feet for exterior activities. Exemption does not apply to window replacement; demolition; or use of banned practices.
- No lead-based paint will be disturbed as determined by:
- Proper use of Environmental Protection Agency-recognized test kit by certified renovator
- Testing of paint by certified lead inspector or risk assessor
- Do-It-Yourself: Work performed by an owner an owner-occupied residence.