The City of Westbrook Small Business Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program application is now online.
Click here to view or fill out the Small Business Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program Application
The purpose of the Small Business Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program is to support Westbrook’s small businesses in immediate need of rental or mortgage payment assistance, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This grant program may provide assistance for commercial rent or commercial mortgage not to exceed $1,500.00, for businesses with 50 or fewer Westbrook-based employees. The goal is to focus on individual businesses that are in need of assistance. To address this immediate need, speed, flexibility, simplicity and efficiency are critical elements of the grant program delivery. A flexible grant program will have a direct impact to help small businesses retain jobs and survive the crisis.
This Emergency Rental Assistance Grant Program, capitalized with $100,500 from the Westbrook Environmental Improvement Corporation (WEIC), was created to help Westbrook small businesses recover from revenue loss by awarding grants for rental or mortgage assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic. The grants will be paid directly to the applicant’s landlord. For owner-occupied businesses, determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis to find the best way possible to assist with payment options.
• Business is located in Westbrook, Maine and pays rent or makes mortgage payments for a dedicated commercial space located in Westbrook.
• Business had 50 or fewer part-time or full-time employees in Westbrook between January 1, 2020 and March 1, 2020.
• Applicant can demonstrate revenue loss as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Priority will be given to applicants that did not receive funds from the Federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Securities Act (CARES Act). Any funds remaining after the initial awards may be allocated to applicants that have received prior assistance under the PPP if additional need is demonstrated.
Note: City of Westbrook employees and elected officials are not eligible to apply. Home-based businesses are not eligible to apply.
• Completed online application. Click here to view or fill out the Small Business Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program Application
• Statement of need.
• IRS Form 941 for the period of Jan. 1, 2020 to March 1, 2020. If you do not submit 941 forms, please upload payroll report for the period from January 1, 2020 to March 1, 2020, demonstrating that the number of employees (including both full and part-time) is 50 or less.
• Copy of commercial lease showing monthly payment and landlord contact information or mortgage payment information.
GRANT REVIEW PROCEDURE:
Applicants are required to submit the application with required documentation. Completed applications will be reviewed weekly by Economic Development staff, on a rolling basis, and a second round of submissions may be opened if funding is available. Please allow up to 10-12 days for processing after submission and 2-3 weeks after award notification to receive funds. We will notify recipients by email. .
Applications will be reviewed and processed on a weekly basis. The deadline for submission is August 31, 2020.
The City of Westbrook reserves the right to reject any application if no substantive need is demonstrated. This program is subject to the appropriation limit established by the City Council.
If you have any questions about the grant, please contact Daniel Stevenson, Economic Development Director, at email@example.com or 207-956-3197. If you have trouble with the online platform, please contact Tina Radel, Marketing Director, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any award of funds and conditions of the Small Business Emergency Commercial Rental Assistance Program are subject to City Council approval.