Director of Business Development & Community Relations
|Type||Posted Date||Deadline to Apply|
|Full Time Regular||August 24, 2017||September 6, 2017|
Basic Purpose & Function
The Director of Business and Community Relations is responsible for administrative and specialized work in directing and managing a comprehensive program of economic and community development designed to attract and promote desirable economic growth in the City of Westbrook; assists businesses and community organizations; interacts and maintains ongoing communication with community agencies involved in economic development, downtown revitalization and community improvement; prepares grant applications for area public improvements and rehabilitation of properties, both commercial and residential within the City’s redevelopment areas.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities (Illustrative Only)
- Maintains liaison with various State and Federal agencies; coordinates projects with agencies such as HUD, Maine State Planning Office, Maine State Housing Authority, DOT, DEP, EPA, and the Maine Department of Economic and Community Development.
- Maintains a close liaison with existing service, business, and industrial firms to assist them in their operations and expansion planning. Participates on appropriate local and area committees and meets regularly with the Chamber of Commerce.
- Responsible for business recruitment and retention, including meeting with business and real estate representatives to review site alternatives, facilitate the review process, and develop marketing materials as appropriate.
- Prepares grant proposals and applications, contracts and other necessary documents and oversees each program’s implementation, including grant management
- Oversees and prepares plans, reports, and recommendations that are relative to short and long term community and economic development issues for the Planning Board, City Council and other appropriate City committees.
- Assists business submitting loan applications to the City and administers the revolving loan programs.
Identifies resources to assist in business attraction, expansion or retention, including TIFs, revolving loan funds, grants, and contacts with other resource agencies.
- Director to the Westbrook Environmental Improvement Corporation and coordinates staff support to the Westbrook Development Collaborative, the Village Review Overlay Zone Committee, and the Arts and Culture Committee.
- Manages and maintains an inventory of industrial land buildings, and businesses, downtown land, buildings and businesses.
Conducts and/or manages special projects and studies such as industrial and commercial development proposals.
- Develops and manages marketing and branding initiatives for the City of Westbrook.
- Assists businesses and individuals through the regulatory and permitting process.
- Develops, advances and updates Economic Development plans and strategies.
- Attends evening meetings as required.
- Performs related work as required.
Education, Training & Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a concentration in economics, public or business administration or a related field. A Master’s degree in public policy, community development or related field is desirable. A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible state and/or local government experience in economic or community development, public policy and management or related fields. Any equivalent combination of education, training or experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
Requirements of Work
- Thorough knowledgeable of state and federal grant processes from application to evaluation.
- Well versed in the laws and regulations pertaining to economic and community development programs, planning and code enforcement or public policy and management.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with the ability to facilitate group meetings, write clear concise reports, communicate instructions and information in an effective manner, and make comprehensive presentations to the City Council, businesses and various boards and community groups.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to positively resolve confrontational situations effectively and establish effective working relationships with citizens, business owners, co-workers, officials, other departments, vendors, contractors, State, federal and other outside agencies.
- Ability to analyze community improvement needs and coordinate activities.
- Intermediate to advanced skill and proficiency in the following computer software/applications: Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Outlook and Access, Trio, and GIS.
- Familiarity with municipal codes and ordinances.
- Knowledge of the City’s infrastructure.
- Ability to manage consultant teams, vendors and contractors working for the community.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; stoop, kneel, climb, crouch, or crawl. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to sit and climb or balance. Sufficient speech and hearing is necessary to be able to communicate effectively by phone or in person.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to various types of weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to fumes. Office and site environment; exposure to dust and noise; some climbing and stooping.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit a resume to Human Resources as soon as possible.
Director of Human Resources
City of Westbrook/Westbrook School Department
Email Jennifer Ogden